Oh ya! It's National Homemade Bread Day!
There is nothing better than fresh, warm bread just out of the oven! This is a great and fairly easy recipe using sourdough starter. Enjoy!
· 1 cup sourdough starter, or discard
· 1 cup milk
· 2 eggs
· 2 tbsp olive oil
· 2 tsp instant yeast
· 2 tsp salt
· 1 tsp sugar
· 1 tsp garlic powder
· Egg wash, 1 egg whisked with 1 tbsp water
Adding sea salt or everything bagel seasoning to egg washed top is optional, but encouraged 😁
1. Warm milk in microwave, but only till warm, not hot.
2. Mix warm milk, sourdough starter, oil and egg in large stand mixer.
3. Once incorporated, add sugar, instant yeast and flour, mix well.
4. Add salt and garlic powder.
5. Kneed with dough hook on medium for 5-7 minutes. Mix will be sticky.
6. Place in oiled bowl and cover. Place in warm spot. Let rise until double, 1-1.5 hours.
7. On floured surface, turn out dough and gently divide into 6 pieces. Gently form into balls and place on parchment lined baking sheet.
8. Let rise again for 30-45 minutes. Preheat oven to 375F during this time.
9. Brush with an egg wash, sprinkle with sea salt and bake 20-25 minutes on middle rack.
If you are looking for a great sourdough starter, check out https://auntphilstrunk.com/product/sourdough-cookery/